Are you also wondering how to hire a Node.js developer? In this article, I’ll share a dozen tips on how to find Node.js developers and help to select the best candidates for your team. You’ll also learn about the Alcor turnkey solution – IT recruitment services with operational support in Eastern Europe. Let’s get started!
Top Remote Node.js Developer Portrait
A Node.js developer works in a cross-platform web development environment, which enables building custom and scalable network applications. Node.js technology is a quite mature and well-tested tool, so you have to make sure that your candidates meet all the essential tech requirements.
Basic technology stack, which includes 80+ microservices orchestrated with Kubernetes on Google CP, Drone for CI/CD. High architecture principal. AWS.
Efficient knowledge of Node.js frameworks. Express is the most fundamental framework, while Koa.js, Hapi, and Total.js are aimed at expanding the basic functionalities of Express.
Proficiency with Front-End frameworks. Although a bigger part of the Node.js developer’s responsibilities is related to the Back-End, they sometimes use Front-End technologies to improve user experience. From my perspective, the most requested Front-End frameworks are React and Angular 2+.
Mastery of Cloud platforms is usually positioned as a great-to-have additional skill; however, Node.js developers often face related tasks even being in the Middle positions. AWS and Azure are big names among cloud computing services.
Proficiency in API communications is important while looking to hire Node.js developers. Every specialist should know how to interpret existing API codes and make use of them in their own projects.
In addition to their strong technical expertise, remote Node.js developers must possess a set of essential soft skills that facilitate a smooth remote working process:
- good time-management skills
- problem solving, and others.
Node.js Developer Brief Market Overview
Based on the StackOverflow surveys conducted from 2018 to 2022, Node.js consistently held its position as the most popular web technology among professional engineers. Notably, some of the world-leading tech companies successfully implement this technology: namely PayPal, Netflix, eBay, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others.
Currently, there are approximately 27.7M software developers worldwide and 47% of them work with Node frameworks, libraries, and tools. Taking this into account, the number of Node.js specialists amount to ca. 13 million.
When examining the availability of Node.js specialists in different countries, the numbers vary:
At the same time, the demand for Node.js developers for hire is fierce. On LinkedIn, there are almost 15,000 open job opportunities for these programmers in the US and Canada only. In parallel, the European countries of Germany, France, Norway, and the United Kingdom present a notable figure of over 10,000 active job listings within the same field.
Node.js Developer Salaries by Country
Node.js specialists often encounter significant variations in salary rates, not just from region to region but also country to country. To gain a comprehensive understanding of the wages worldwide, you can explore our article on Node.js developer salary, which delves into this topic in greater detail. Below you can find a short summary of the salary rates of Node.js specialists in some countries.
|Gross annual income, USD||USA||Canada||Germany||France||Norway||UK|
|Junior Node.js developer||$77,000||$76,000||$42,000||$36,000||$51,000||$39,000|
|Middle Node.js developer||$107,000||$86,000||$57,000||$57,000||$75,000||$66,000|
|Senior Node.js developer||$140,000||$111,000||$85,000||$69,000||$99,000||$109,000|
|Gross annual income, USD||Poland||Romania||Hungary||Czech Republic|
|Junior Node.js developer||$24,000||$27,000||$21,000||$36,000|
|Middle Node.js developer||$45,000||$38,000||$43,000||$60,000|
|Senior Node.js developer||$75,000||$56,000||$58,000||$81,000|
As you can see, the salary rates in Eastern Europe are considerably lower than in North America or Europe. This point often plays a crucial role for tech entrepreneurs in considering where to hire Node.js developers. For instance, senior Node.js programmers in the United States make $140K annually, while remote senior Node.js developers in Poland earn $75K a year. This disparity often prompts tech entrepreneurs to hire offshore Node.js developers in this region. Additionally, Eastern Europe offers other advantages such as moderate tax rates, a rapidly developing IT infrastructure, and a substantial pool of software engineers, amounting to approximately 1 million IT talents.
How to Hire an Offshore Remote Node.js Developer
If you plan to hire remote offshore Node.js developers, you have various cooperation models to choose from. These include working with outstaffing providers, opting for IT outsourcing services, or establishing your own offshore development team.
IT Outsourcing involves delegating tasks to an external software development vendor. On the surface, this model appears appealing as it allows for quick closure of expertise gaps and completion of tasks. However, IT companies that outsource software development can encounter pitfalls such as data leaks, overpricing, lack of direct communication with the engineering team, limited control over the programming process, and missed opportunities for additional funding from investors.
By opting for IT Outstaffing, you gain access to an extensive pool of Node programmers and enjoy flexibility in scaling up your development team according to your requirements. However, it is important to note that you may face challenges in terms of commitment and dedication to your product. In the worst-case scenario, this lack of dedication can result in data leaks or other issues among different teams within the service provider.
Understandably, many tech companies are anxious about security risks related to traditional outsourcing. Here’s what you can do to prevent them:
- keep all code on repositories;
- control who has access to the code;
- use cloud services;
- establish your own security rules;
- pay attention to GDPR compliance.
Building your own development team bypasses all security and people-related risks because no one has access to your team except for you. Firstly, to ensure a smooth and efficient recruiting process in a foreign market, companies often delegate the task to local IT recruitment service providers. These vendors can help you hire remote Node.js developers in accordance with your hiring requirements. As a rule, such agencies boast large recruitment teams with in-depth knowledge of the hiring process and possess valuable insights into the specifics of the local employment market. Secondly, some employment agencies also provide Employer of Records services that help with further employment of the candidates and their operational support. Only make sure your partner has good lawyers and accountants to ensure full legal compliance of your development team in the new location.
10 Questions to Ask a Remote Node.js Developer
While looking for Node.js developers for hire, it becomes crucial to delve deeper into their expertise in the field and assess their ability to work remotely. By asking a series of well-crafted questions, you can gain valuable insights into the candidate’s technical prowess, evaluate their hard and soft skills, and get a better understanding of their personality. This in turn will help you make a more informed decision when selecting the right candidate for your team.
Here are 10 questions that can help you run your interviewing process well:
1. Can you tell me more about yourself?
2. What makes you a good fit for our company?
Questions about working experience:
3. What credentials do you hold?
4. Describe your last challenging task? How did you solve it?
5. Have you already worked remotely? How did you organize your work?
Questions about tech expertise:
6. Why is Node.js single-threaded?
7. Can you name the types of API functions in Node.js?
8. How would you manage error handling and debugging in a Node.js application?
9. Can you describe how you used Node.js in your previous projects?
10. Which frameworks and libraries within Node.js have you worked with?
Tailoring interview questions specifically to your company’s hiring requirements is essential. Thus, the interviewing questions for remote full stack Node.js developers will differ from questions intended for middle Node.js specialists who are expected to work at your company’s headquarters.
Tips to Attract & Retain the Best Offshore Node.js Developers
Node.js is a back-end technology of choice for diverse enterprises and startups. That justifies a high demand for such specialists in the Eastern European tech market. According to research carried out by our recruitment team, on average there are six open vacancies per Node.js candidate. Therefore, to stand out from hundreds of employers and headhunt the top IT talent you should:
- Shorten the recruitment process. Yes, you heard that right. Today loads of great companies are looking for skillful software engineers, so every redundant interview stage or additional technical test may be a moment when you lose your perfect candidate. Therefore, the shorter the hiring process, the better. Nevertheless, you probably don’t want to put your hiring quality at risk. To make the procedure more effective and hire node.js developers quicker, consider delegating this task to a reliable recruitment provider.
For example, a US-based IT product company Dotmatics, which develops software designed for scientists, found a way to avoid long recruiting processes. The enterprise is expanding rapidly in Ukraine, so they decided to limit their hiring process to three stages there. This move resulted in hiring 9 dedicated Full-Stack Node.js developers during our collaboration. What is more, one of the developers successfully completed all those recruitment steps within one week.
- Make a tempting presentation. Considering that IT specialists have a wide range of companies to choose from, you should rehearse your “sales pitch” and make a list of points that will persuade a programmer to join your team. With hiring Node.js developers, emphasize the thrilling projects, your product stack, and approaches to developing applications, such as microservice architecture.
- Have other experts in your team. It’s no surprise that ambitious employees always strive for personal and professional growth. We all know that the best way to keep evolving is to surround yourself with other passionate IT talents. Therefore, it’s useful to mention your A-players while presenting the company. In fact, the presence of experienced colleagues who are eager to share their knowledge is always a plus.
- Prepare an impressive social package. Apart from a competitive salary rate, it’s good to offer an extensive list of benefits. For instance, one of our clients provides health insurance, free sports activities, paid vacation, sick leaves, and more for their Node.js developers. These type of IT specialists valued the opportunity to work from home before it went mainstream, so we established remote home offices for them with essential iOS equipment. When the pandemic broke out, some of our customers added more benefits to the list. For example, Grammarly launched a course of lectures and workshops for their employees to deal with anxiety.
An Offshore Remote Development Team in Eastern Europe with Alcor
As you can see, the recruitment of Node.js developers is a complex and multistage process. You may waste days browsing freelance websites to arrange a job interview with a worthy candidate. Alcor IT recruiters and researchers will be happy to take care of this task. We successfully hired 15 skillful Node.js developers for such companies as BigCommerce, Cubyn, Al Tayer, and others. Our team is ready to headhunt the best talents for you too. We will examine your requirements, consult you on the recruitment process, adjust the vacancy to the Eastern European tech market, and find skilled specialists to build a strong engineering team for you in Eastern Europe.
Let’s look at the case study with BigCommerce – a major e-commerce player. They wanted to expand but faced a lack of skilled software engineers in the USA. Consequently, BigCommerce turned to Alcor for a comprehensive and cost-effective solution in growing their professional team. In total, our professional recruiters engaged 30+ specialists, two of which were experienced Node.js developers. To ease the management of the offshore development team, Alcor accompanied all aspects of BigCommerce activities in Eastern Europe and provided the company with legal, accounting, and real estate services. And it took us only one month to set up a successful R&D center!
Alcor focuses on hiring Senior/Lead software developers in Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and other countries in the EE region. Our 40+ IT recruiters can hire programmers for different tech fields. For instance, if you need a Node.js developer to build a mobile app for a medtech company, Alcor can serve you as a healthcare IT recruitment agency. It takes us 3-6 weeks to hire a skilled developer for your company. In addition to providing full-cycle IT recruitment services, we offer comprehensive assistance with legal compliance, payroll management, equipment procurement, and employer branding.